Established in 1962
Wingala Lapidary Arts & Crafts
at Freshwaters on Sydney’s Northern Beaches
Club House at Harbord Park,
Wyadra Avenue, Harbord.
PO Box 111 Harbord 2096
For further details please contact:-
President - Ken Bennett 0408 400 603
Vice Pres - Sherry Martin 0405 500 121
Annual Membership $30.00 year including insurance
(family fees are $45 including insurance)
Joining fee $15
Plus $5 per session, for use of all equipment and tea and coffee.
Monday 10.00 am General lapidary, silver work, etc
Tuesday 9.30 am Glass
Wednesday 9.30 am General lapidary, silver work, etc
Wed Eve 7.00 pm General lapidary, carving
Thursday 9.30 am Glass
We are also open on other days for special events and classes.
We are friendly club on Sydney’s Northern Beaches with a fully equipped club
house. Our activities include: faceting of gem stones, cutting and polishing
cabochons, gemstone carving, making of silver or gold settings and jewellery and
The club has qualified teachers for all its actives to help new members to acquire
the skills to work on their own and runs occasional mini workshops in Precious
Metal Clay, Hebel block carving, silver work etc. We also have a stock of rough
stone for members and sterling silver findings for setting stones.
Tips & Safety On Field Trips
- Take every precaution while on field trips like making sure you have the right gear like gloves,
boots, drinking water and basic supplies.
- Fill in your holes after digging and beware of overhanging rocks and ledges that could collapse
while digging below.
- Don't go into old mine shafts as most are unstable and air quality can never be guaranteed.
- Always wear safety glasses when breaking or chiselling on rocks.
- Watch out for snakes and spiders because as a rock hound you're more prone to finding these
critters than others.
- Always close gates after you and always take your rubbish home with you if there isn't a proper
place to leave it.
- Always tell someone where you are before you leave in case something goes wrong!
- Always have a first aid kit close by.
- If you haven't been to an area before draw yourself a map or have a map with you so you don't
get lost. Mobile phones don't work everywhere!
- Wear a good hat and sunscreen so you don't get sunburnt.
- Never forget: FOOD, SNACKS, DRINKS & MEDICATION.
Disclaimer: It is your responsibility to ask permission from any private property owner at any location
when searching for gemstones before you enter any such property. You may also be required to
possess a fossicking license as per state laws.
Safety In The Workshop
- Don't have loose clothing around any moving machine parts and keep guards on equipment at
- Wear safety glasses while grinding and using any pickle or acid compounds.
- Wear a filter face mask if required.
- Don't spill water on any electric motors. Electricity and water don't mix.
- Keep fingers and hands clear of sharp moving parts.
- Wear rubber gloves if handling any acids or pickling solutions.
- Use tweezers when handling hot soldered jewelry.
- Have a first aid kit near by at all times.