For further details
Top End Gem & Mineral Club
Top End Gem and Mineral Club Inc.
Russ Swan - President & A/Secretary
Eligio Bruzzese - Vice President & Public Officer
Sue Hutton - Treasurer
The TEGM Club is believed to be the only fossicking and lapidary club in Darwin and has
operated continuously for 53 years. It has regular fossicking trips and meetings are usually
well attended. The club also fosters youngsters, teeenagers and young adults up to 18 years.
Meetings: 3326 Brandt Rd., Berrimah, NT 0832
Postal: PO Box 268, Karama, NT 0813
Mobile: 0402 081 682 (leave a message)
Single - $25
Family - $40
Regular classes that are open to the public have recently been introduced including
wire-wrapping and creating beading. Future classes will include silver-smithing, faceting and
Club meets 9-12 noon Tuesdays and Saturdays, 5-8pm Wednesdays
1st Wednesday of the month reserved for Associate members (under 18 years)
The club is based at Knuckey Lagoon Conservation reserve and meets on Tuesday mornings
from 9AM till 12 and Wednesday nights from 5PM till 8PM.
We try to organize as many field trips as we can during the dry season ie:- Harts Ranges and
Wave Hill plus any local areas.
Club Shows & Events:-
Contact the club for further details.
|Top End Gem & Mineral Club
Tips & Safety On Field Trips
- Take every precaution while on field trips like making sure you have the right gear like gloves,
boots, drinking water and basic supplies.
- Fill in your holes after digging and beware of overhanging rocks and ledges that could collapse
while digging below.
- Don't go into old mine shafts as most are unstable and air quality can never be guaranteed.
- Always wear safety glasses when breaking or chiselling on rocks.
- Watch out for snakes and spiders because as a rock hound you're more prone to finding these
critters than others.
- Always close gates after you and always take your rubbish home with you if there isn't a proper
place to leave it.
- Always tell someone where you are before you leave in case something goes wrong!
- Always have a first aid kit close by.
- If you haven't been to an area before draw yourself a map or have a map with you so you don't
get lost. Mobile phones don't work everywhere!
- Wear a good hat and sunscreen so you don't get sunburnt.
- Never forget: FOOD, SNACKS, DRINKS & MEDICATION.
Disclaimer: It is your responsibility to ask permission from any private property owner at any location
when searching for gemstones before you enter any such property. You may also be required to
possess a fossicking license as per state laws.
Safety In The Workshop
- Don't have loose clothing around any moving machine parts and keep guards on equipment at
- Wear safety glasses while grinding and using any pickle or acid compounds.
- Wear a filter face mask if required.
- Don't spill water on any electric motors. Electricity and water don't mix.
- Keep fingers and hands clear of sharp moving parts.
- Wear rubber gloves if handling any acids or pickling solutions.
- Use tweezers when handling hot soldered jewelry.
- Have a first aid kit near by at all times.